Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Scriptwriting One: Scene: Five Dollar Problem

FADE IN:



EXT. PASSIVE PARK-DUSK

JACK SMITH, early twenties, is walking from Shannon Hall
through Passive Park at a fast rate. He starts fumbling
around with his coat pockets and then his jean pockets while
his fast pace starts to slow down.
JACK
(frustrated, concerned)
Man! Where did it go? Where the
hell did I put that it was just in
my pocket?!

RICK STEWART, late teens, walks in from opposite direction as
Jack. RICK sees Jack fumbling around along the pathway.

RICK
(enthusiastic)
Hey Jack! What's going on man? How
are you doing?

JACK
(distraught)
Oh, hey Rick. Not much just trying
to find something.

RICK
(upbeat)
Well man what are you looking for?
Maybe I can help ya out?

JACK
(Distraught)
I'm trying to look for my five
dollars. I was gonna run to the
Corner Store and get a pop. I swear
dude I just had it in my pocket!
Ugh.

RICK
(confused)
Um, its just five dollars. No big
D. I'm sure you have other cash to
get a soda.

JACK
(irritated, kicks dirt
after saying last lines)
No dude, that's the only cash I
have left until my next paycheck.
God, this day sucks. (kicks at
dirt)

RICK
Calm down man. I'll help you out.
We'll find your money. Don't worry.

JACK
(depressed)
Alright, thanks. This has really
been a shitty day.

RICK
First things first. Where do you
last remember having it? Your room
maybe or (Cuts off)

JACK
(cuts off Rick,puts hands
on forehead, stressed)
No, no, no. I had it in my hand
when I left Shannon. It was in my
pocket when I walked out the door I
checked.

RICK
(slightly irritated)
OK, ok! No reason to be hostile
here. I'm just trying to help.

JACK
(still stressed)
Sorry. Ugh. It's just been a rough
day. All I want is a bottle of pop.

RICK
Alright, we just need to think
rationally here and retrace your
steps. Ok, so you had it outside of
Shannon, so it was in your pocket,
did you reach inside your pocket at
all since you got to the park?

JACK
No, not till I get to the park to
take it out and it wasn't there. I
didn't touch it since I left
Shannon.

RICK
(walks over to a table and
sits down)
Hmm. Let me think.

JACK
(follows Rick, starts
pacing while Rick sits at
the table and thinks,
getting to a breaking
point with stress)
Dude! We're never going to find it.
This is impossible how are we going
to find a little piece of paper?
(yelling)
Huh? How are we going to find it
genius?! God I just wanted a bottle
of pop, just a simple freakin
bottle.

RICK
(irritated, annoyed,
yelling)
Seriously! Calm the hell down!
Jesus dude get a hold of yourself.

JACK
(calming down, agreeing
with Rick)
Yeah. Your right. I need to calm
down.

RICK
(calmer)
Exactly, just relax. Sit down.
We'll find it.

JACK
(starts to sit down at the
table)
I need to relax. We'll find it.
We're gonna find.

RICK
(looking away from Jack,
shaking his head in
annoyance)
That's right were going to find it
man.

JACK
(sitting at table, props
feet up on table and
looks around)
Ahh. Wow...man it's a really nice
day out. I didn't really get a
chance to notice how nice it is out
here with all this shit going on.
Wow.

RICK
(looks over at Jack in
disbelief of his 180
degree mood change,
sarcastic chuckle)
Yeah its a beautiful frickin...
(trails off, takes a closer look at
Jacks shoes on the table)
You gotta be frickin kidding me

JACK
(curious)
What?
(Rick stares at Jacks
shoes and remains
speechless)
What man?

RICK
(reaches over the table
and smacks Jack in the
head)
You idiot!

JACK
(confused)
What the hell was that for?!

RICK
(reaches to Jacks left
shoe and pulls out a
crumbled five dollar
bill)
Would this be your five dollars?

JACK
(amazed, confused,
excited)
Wow. How the hell did that get in
there? No way! Yes!

RICK
(disbelief)
I cant believe you man. It was in
your shoe the whole time. Ugh.

JACK
(happy, jumps up from
table with five dollars
in hand)
Thank god man! Aren't you glad we
didn't have to search the whole
area to find this?! Wow this is
great. Thanks man.
I owe you big time.
(to himself, jumping up
and down)
God this is awesome.

RICK
(irritated, disbelief,
sarcastic)
Yeah man, that's great that's just
awesome.

JACK
(happy, eustatic)
Wow man. Thanks so much. Your the
best dude! You know what how bout
you come with me to get a pop.

RICK
(stares without speaking
for a few minutes, sighs
and gives in)
Yeah, why the hell not.
(Two characters walk off
together to corner store)

FADE OUT.

No comments:

Post a Comment